Total Pageviews

Friday, August 17, 2012

PLM?


I know there is strength in the differences between us. 

I know there is comfort, where we overlap.

                                                                                  Ani DeFranc


I saw this the other day and it reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend. Not a long conversation just a mention.  We were talking about some people we knew and she had said that one of them had been one of her best friends. I was surprised and said so and that I thought they were very different people. She said back to me that she doesn't do PLM. PLM? What's that? PEOPLE LIKE ME. She doesn't "type" people or if she does she enjoys the differences and learns from them. Oh, I see. Hummmm.  Well I think I do have PLM syndrome.  And don't most of us?  I sort of "type" people and navigate to my comfort zone for my best friends and those I want to see on a regular basis.  But when I have opened up, I have to say I've sometime had some really different, interesting and cool experiences or aha moments.

This also reminded me of something else I've been told and read- that we can learn something from everyone we meet or come into contact with.  Even if it's just a jolt of what we don't want in life. I remember a time when Madonna had become "friends" with a woman, whose name I can't spell, and she invited her to St. Williams Church, a very liberal Catholic church. I went with her and wow what a cool, different, funny experience that was.  I do have quite a few stories like that. Of learning from our differences.

So may you find comfort where we overlap- I love that- the comfort of being with our friends can be like a big warm quilt thrown over our laps when we're cold. And find strength in the differences through learning. 

Lov ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment