Total Pageviews

Monday, June 11, 2012

Gut check II or Stuff, who needs it.

Nick, Alli- learn this now and you won't have to take so much time in the future clearing out your house.

Why do we all have so much stuff?

Going back from yesterday's post to shopping. Again to that feeling at the check out counter. As you wait to be served are you figgidy, nervous or talking yourself into the purchase? You know the "well it's on sale, I don't have a blue one, it's soooo cute, this would look good on the my end table (which by the way already has something if not several somethings on it). Maybe it just really is that -YOU DON'T NEED IT!!! PUT IT DOWN AND BACK AWAY!! lol

I have quite a few friends, and myself by the way,  who are in a clearing out mode. I mean really clearing out their space, and it is absolutely amazing how much stuff there is. Have you seen the bumper sticker that says:

Live simply so that others can simply live.

I have to admit that I'm not sure what that means- "that others can simply live". I thought maybe wildlife. 
But LIVE SIMPLY makes so much sense.  How many blouses, jeans, black pants (I have(had) 6), plastic containers, platters, earrings.etc, etc, do we need.  Admit it, you really only wear a few pairs of earrings over and over again mostly because you can't find the others amid the clutter. And whenever I open one of my kitchen cabinets, plastic containers fall all over the place. Why can't I throw them away!!? How many do I really use at one time. What if I just keep a few big ones. What's wrong with putting a small amount of leftovers in a big container. IS IT A SIN!? OMG yes! The containers have to fit the contents so I have all sizes and a bunch of them.   ha ha ha. And same for men- too many shirts, tools, etc.

I realize Nick and Alli that some of this clearing taking place by my friends is part of the mid-life stuff, and you need to have your time of collecting stuff (NOT) but what if we really only purchased what we really needed then throw in a bit of extra fun stuff. We'd have more money in the bank, more room in our closets and cabinets, less frustration and we really would be helping the environment.

I am pretty proud of myself during this clearing- I really am not much of a collector anyway- but I really let some stuff go that's I've been hanging onto. But I also took an assessment of my summer clothes (like they tell us in the magazine) and made of list of the items I really feel I need to fill in my wardrobe. 
-black crop pants- check, $10.00 Ann Taylor's at TJ Max (love when that happens) 
cute right? and I got rid of a similar old black one 

-a couple colorful tops (since I have about 20 black ones)-check cobalt blue one for $5.50 NIne West at Margaret's Consignments, (can you believe that) a red one from Target
-White skinny jeans - still looking.

But really that is all I need so why keep buying on impulse.  Not that we can't indulge occasionally.

All things in moderation   

Full disclosure- being an imperfect human- I bought another black one- see picture- I know, I know. So I spent my time in line at the counter justifying-  "but this one is cotton with a color and long tail like the ripped on that I'm going to fix one day that I love , it's only $6.00"  (it was- at Target), etc, etc. 

You get my point- We just have too much stuff. Maybe if every time we were tempted to buy something we didn't need, we turned away and gave what it would cost to a charity. Or if you just had to buy it- then donate something similar from your house. 

Just think twice- listen to that gut. 

Luv ya-


No comments:

Post a Comment