Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Forgiveness

There is a hard law. When an injury is done to us, we never recover until we forgive.

- Alan Paton -

A rarity in his time, Paton was a white man in a country of oppressed blacks who fought for their freedom and believed in their worth. It has been said that Paton was "the man who pulled up the barbed wire fence and planted geraniums" in South Africa. As a chronicler of his times, he brought America and the rest of the world face-to-face and heart-to-heart with the problem of race relations in South Africa.

 

  Holding a grudge is like taking poison and hoping the other person will get sick. 

 -anonymous-


Forgiveness doesn't mean that you deny the other person's responsibility for hurting you, and it doesn't minimize or justify the wrong. You can forgive the person without excusing the act. Forgiveness brings a kind of peace that helps you go on with life.


A more clinical approach--From the Mayo Clinic (for heavens sake!)

What are the benefits of forgiving someone?

Letting go of grudges and bitterness can make way for compassion, kindness and peace. Forgiveness can lead to:
  • Healthier relationships
  • Greater spiritual and psychological well-being
  • Less anxiety, stress and hostility
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Fewer symptoms of depression
  • Lower risk of alcohol and substance abuse 
Why is my subject Forgiveness?  I've had a hard time with this one myself.  I have some people I really need to forgive and just when I think I have that accomplished some resentment creeps into me. It is not easy. But harder still is not being resentful of the successes or happiness of someone you need to forgive or even have already forgiven.  There are steps that can be taken- for another post- so for now just think about it and start the process

You might be saying to yourself that you have no one to forgive, but I've learned lately  that if you are alive you have someone to forgive.  Even if it's that person who cut you off in traffic.  A big breath and a conscience forgiveness will make your ride much better and you won't hold the tension later- that you maybe didn't even realize was there.   I've also learned and believe this with all my heart that I cannot truly be open to all the good the universe has in store for me if I do not free that space in my soul that that grudge is occupying.  REMEMBER negativity begets negativity. Nick and Alli- start now before you have so much to clear out.

Luv ya,

No comments:

Post a Comment