Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Volunteer

John Hopkins determined from a study that just 2 hours of volunteer work a week will positively affect our moods and our lives and helps to eliminate depression and anxiety.

You know, even if we are not affected personally- it's just a good thing to do.  Give back. There are so many ways. As little as giving your paper and can recyclables to a non-profit to turn in for money, giving blood (yuck-but still :-), joining a walk for a cause, giving to a food bank- to the really big things; reading to kids, visiting the elderly, helping with an event. 

There was a time when I just really did too much. Taught Sunday school at church, helped with a yearly cancer program, on the board and program chair in 2 organizations, and miscellaneous other events when asked.  I got burned out- but still I can say I never felt so alive and active. And now I know I need to do something. I feel a void in that area- it really does make you feel good- needed.

And hey- if in your volunteer activity you happen to meet someone that can do something for you or you meet someone you can add to your network of friends and/or acquaintances-  if you get back for giving back - that is icing on the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment