Total Pageviews

Friday, May 11, 2012

Proud and wise

 Pride leads to conflict;
those who take advice are wise. 

                                                     Proverbs 13:10


It's not always easy to admit we need advice or that we are wrong.  Being too prideful is hurtful in our lives, and in our relationships. 

Pride is defined as (from Wikipedia) - an inwardly directed emotion that carries two common meanings. With a negative connotation, pride refers to an inflated sense of one's personal status or accomplishments. With a positive connotation, pride refers to a satisfied sense of attachment toward one's own or another's choices and actions, or toward a whole group of people, and is a product of praise, independent self-reflection, or a fulfilled feeling of belonging.

So being proud or having pride in yourself is not a bad thing. Being too prideful though can be a problem and what is behind most arguments.  Having to get our way, having to be right, not wanting to take advice or listen to another point of view. If you find you're in a lot of arguments or you are often being disturbed by other people - you might do a self examination and try to determine if you are letting pride get in the way of living a more serene, conflict free life.   Pride and humility walk a fine line I think. Humans need a dose of both.

I write this to share my experience. I've been trying to understand why a certain person acts the way they do. ( No not any of you, my readers :-)  In my readings/studying I came across Pride and I said one of my AH HAs then studied the word a little deeper.  I may have a tool now to deal with this person better and I understand that I too puff up my pride when I'm around them- (as a defense mechanism?)  so our conflict is even greater. Neither of us wants to give in, take advice etc., continuous one-upping-  Whew- creates a tense situation. And guess what- I am proud of myself (but not too much) for trying to understand the situation instead of letting it "unravel". Trying to solve the mystery of our conflicts.

So if it isn't personal to you- if you neeeveeer have a problem with pride (which is almost impossible) - you might recognize it in others and be more understanding of them.  Understand why you react to them the way you do, help therm to see it in themselves.  So.... be proud but be wise.

Luv ya and are very proud of you,





No comments:

Post a Comment