Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Gratitude

Dear Nick & Alli,  Gratitude will be the subject of a few of my post. There is so much to say. It has really become a hot subject- buzz word though. Everywhere I turn I see or hear something about the importance of Gratitude. What started in the spiritual world has gone mainstream. I know this because there has actually been a study on the affects of gratitude on the body. It seems that the simple act of listing 10 items, on paper or just in your head, that you are grateful for daily increases endorphins in the brain. And we know that endorphins give us a feeling of well being and happiness. We had a short discussion about gratitude while I was in Florida at Christmas. Alli equated being grateful for what we have with settling or not striving for more and I see how one might think that way. If I am "content" with say, my house then I won't work to get something better. But that isn't how it works. Being discontent all the time is bad for our psyche and is detrimental to our happiness. The answer is to be grateful this day for what you have while you work to get what you want.   You see the universe can't/won't give you more if you don't appreciate what you've already been given.  Try it for a few days- Nick take a few minutes when you get up from sleep (about 2:00, 3:00 :>) to be grateful for a few things.- Really truly deep down grateful. Breath it in, fill your heart.  I'll write later about some other exercises you can do in the way of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment